Donabe Cassserole cooker - M
This product is currently sold out.
Hand made traditional ceramic casserole/rice cooker made in Japan using traditional clay and wheel turning methods.
Measurements - tbc please enquire
Can be used on the stovetop (gas only) for cooking the perfect rice due the special qualities of the clay used. Also perfect for porridge, slow cooking, etc. Ceramic can also be used in the oven for braising and slow cooked meals.
Handmade on a wheel using the local clay from Iga. Iga-yaki pottery is one of Japan's most highly-regarded traditional ceramics and the clay is said to be the finest for producing donabe due to its porous qualities.The cooker has a thick base which allows it to retain heat well and gently cook the rice.'
Seasoning your donabe before first use (ensuring years of long lasting donabe pleasure)
Iga-style donabe are made of porous clay, and without seasoning the donabe before first use it may cause leaking or cracking over time. How to season your donabe:
- Pour the water to about 70% of the donabe and then add cooked rice. The cooked rice must be at least 1/5 of the volume of the water. A little more rice is better than too little. Stir the water and rice well.
- Close the donabe with the lid and cook the rice over low to medium-low heat over the stove-top.
- Once the mixture starts to simmer (approximately After 20-30 minutes), remove the lid and reduce the heat to low (the mixture should simmer, not boil.)
- Continue cooking over low heat until the mixture becomes almost like paste. *Be careful not to let the mixture boil. If you boil, the hot mixture can splash out of the pot and it's dangerous. *Use pot holders or oven mittens when handling the pot (including the lid) when it's heated, as the donabe can get very hot.* Keen an eye on it so it doesn't burn dry!
- Turn off the heat and allow the rice mixture to cool in the pot for about 1 hour.
- Remove the rice mixture from the donabe and rinse and air dry and store your donabe for next use. Allow to dry well overnight before first use.
- You only need to season it once for a lifetime of use.
Other care tips:
- Whenever you use a donabe, please make sure the bottom surface is dry.
- It's important not to put on high heat at first. It's best to start with low heat. Also, empty donabe shouldn't be heated.
- After using a donabe, let it cool before washing. Please do not soak it in water when it's hot. When it cooled down, gently wash it with water. Donabe shouldn't be soaked in soap for a long time. Wipe dry with a clean, dry cloth. It's important to air dry well before storing.
- For use to make stove top rice, casseroles, soups etc,
- For use on gas hobs only. Can be used in the oven.
- When not in use never cover a dobane if it is not completely dry inside.